Studies and research
The strategy for the circular economy pursues the objective of sustainable growth involving all links in the supply chain: production, distribution, consumption and end-of-life of goods.
The complete transition towards an economy that knows how to regenerate itself therefore requires teamwork that starts with the design, where most of the impacts that products will have during their life cycle are defined. It is at this stage that the possibility for an asset to be reused, recycled, repaired or reused for other applications is determined.
The design phase is followed by the consumption phase through virtuous systems involving economic operators, such as reuse systems, or directly the final consumers, who are responsible for the purchase choices.
It is precisely the citizens who continue to be responsible, together with the municipalities, for the correct management of the goods when they become waste, thus representing the first step in the recycling chain through the correct delivery of products at the end of their life, which is crucial for waste to become a resource again.
This would not be possible without the remaining recycling chain and therefore all the industrial apparatus that transforms waste into new resources to be introduced into new production processes. This system supports the recycling market, which is essential for the development of the circular economy.
CONAI promotes and supports various studies and research on the circular economy, with the aim of investigating, through sector or more general studies, where we are and what needs to be done to make the supply chain increasingly circular.
- “Preventive actions on packaging in the detergent sector”: Ricerca_CONAI_Assocasa_2018_Detergenza
- “Common Future – Innovation, Beauty and Sustainability”: CONAI_Futuro_Comune_def
- “Thinking Circular – resources and ideas for sustainability”: Pensare_Circolare_CONAI_2019
- Investigation of creative reuse: Indagine_Riuso_Creativo
- Study on the quantification of environmental impacts related to packaging waste prevention measures: Studio_quantificazione_impatti_prevenzione
Surveys and in-depth investigations:
- Mapping of reusable packaging in Italy: Mappatura_Riutilizzo
- Survey on the reuse practices of wooden pallets owned by user companies: Relazione_Riutilizzo_pallet
- Survey of the market dynamics of refillable CO2 cylinders for domestic gassers: Relazione_Riutilizzo_bombole_CO2
- Survey on the reuse practices of plastic interwells: Relazione_Riutilizzo_interfalde
- More information on some types of reusable packaging: Schede_approfondimento_riutilizzo
- LCA assessment of the practice of reusing returnable glass bottles (VAR) for the distribution of mineral water: Relazione_LCA_riutilizzo_VAR
- LCA evaluation of the practice of reusing multi-material tanks: Relazione_LCA_ riutilizzo_cisternette_multimateriale
- LCA evaluation of the practice of re-use of foldable sideboard boxes for the fruit and vegetable sector: Relazione_LCA_riutilizzo_cassette_plastica
- LCA evaluation of the practice of reusing steel drums for chemical and petrochemical products: Relazione_LCA_riutilizzo_fusti_acciaio
- Project “Developing the green economy by leveraging purchasing trends”: Progetto SCELTA_2020
- Osservatorio Prevenzione Locale – “The approach of Local Authorities to the topic of waste prevention”: Osservatorio_sulla_prevenzione_locale